Skip to main content

Bursting at the Seams

What a great meeting we had on Tuesday! We had several new faces that joined us and made our small space in the media center feel like we were bursting at the seams! Our time at Knit Michigan seems to have generated some interest in our group as several of the guests heard about us for the first time there. Katie and Barbara both did some recruiting of their own and brought two new friends with them. . .(Katie talked us up while shopping at Jo-Ann's!) We're always glad to be inspired by what others are knitting, and fresh perspectives are always welcomed. Members, if you see someone KIPing (Knitting in Public) invite them to join us! Take a few flyers from a meeting and keep them in your purse so you can point folks to our blog, or post flyers at the stores you shop at. . .all of the publicity you can provide for us will help our group grow.

If you are considering joining, please remember that membership benefits include our meetings where we have some interesting technique or information that will increase your skills, a subscription to Cast On magazine as well as periodic discounts or shopping days at local yarn stores (we're currently scheduling days at The Knitting Room and Beaumont).

We missed several regulars, I hope that not everyone was sick (hope you're feeling better Chris) and that the change in schedule just was a bit of a conflict this month. (Phyllis, we're sorry we missed you, but hope your Red Hat meeting was fun!)

Again, I am amazed at the generosity of our members. Judith took home 43 scarves for SOS. That brings our total up to 79 scarves that we've donated! We will continue to collect scarves at each meeting, so if you're between projects and looking for a quick project, knit a scarf! Washable yarn is preferred--Coralee and Judith always have some at our meetings or you can pick some up at your local yarn store--or out of your stash! We'll have small door prizes for the prettiest scarf and the person who donates the most again in March. . .get knitting!

Louise and I are making good progress on our UFOs (unfinished objects). My New Year's resolution socks are being finished faster than ever since I can't jump between projects. . .I'll post pictures of my March and April socks (both pairs completed) later this week. It's a great feeling to watch my list get smaller, but increasingly hard not to cast on something new. I'm interested to know what you think about this. . .I have a sweater that I've decided not to complete as the style just won't be flattering on me (I don't know what I was thinking when I began knitting it. . .). I plan to rip it out and eventually make a different desgin. Do you think beginning that new design counts as casting on during lent?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bursting at the seams is right. Who is that old fat man,feeding his face? Oh no, that isn't a fat old man, that's me. This is why I bought a camera, so I could get behind it and I could take candid shots of others, but I keep forgetting to do that. That pick. tells me it's not casting on that I should give up, is't something alse, food maybe. Sharon

Popular posts from this blog

We've Moved!

Our new location for guild meetings is Central Oaks Community Church in Royal Oak. Our blog is moving too! This site will remain as an archive of past events. For current information and happenings with the guild, visit our new Facebook Community Page :  BSKG Meetings & Events . See you there! Our other Facebook presence, the Group :  Black Sheep Knitting Guild , is still there for all members to post and share about knitting.

BSKG 1st Guest Post

Posted by Kim Whelan  "copyright Geneve Hoffman Photography" I have this friend; maybe you have one like her? She’s the kind of friend that has all these crazy, great ideas, and somehow, before you know it, you’re smack dab in the middle of something! This friend is the reason that I found myself starting a knitting guild (BSKG) with her a few years ago and found myself president of said guild a few years later. She is also the reason that I started designing patterns. I was just drifting along, calmly knitting away when she said “write a pattern, challenge yourself” That is how I came to write my very first pattern “Etta” which appeared in Lace One Skein Wonders . Now writing a pattern didn’t come easy, there were many mistakes along the way, but I stuck with it and finally I had a pattern I was proud to publish on Ravelry. After that first pattern I wrote a few more that I was lucky enough to have printed in some local publications. But that friend of mine,

March Guild Meeting with Melynda Bernardi

Our guest speaker,  Melynda Bernardi of French Press  Knits, was wonderful! She shared about her background as a knitter, how the name French Press Knits was chosen,  how she started by selling felted slippers and progressed in to writing patterns. Her work is beautiful and she brought several samples to share. Melynda graciously offered a discount on her online patterns for the month of March for our guild members!