Skip to main content

Lacking Technology, but not yarn!

Can I tell you all how frustrating it is to be without a computer??? I've been on vacation this week, so it hasn't hurt quite as much, but even at school I can't update the blog. . .sorry it's been so long! (Louise, thanks for updating and keeping us current!)

I headed to Toronto this week and did some serious yarn shopping! When I have the camera next to the computer I'll post a couple of pictures from Lettuce Knit, a cute little yarn shop packed with beautiful yarn. I'm not sure if there are pictures at Romni Wools or not, but they gave me a 10% discount by showing my guild membership card! How cool is that? Needless to say, I left more than a couple of dollars the other side of the border. Unfortunetly, as of April 1 Canada no longer reimburses the GST or PST or whatever tax they used to. . .so I kept diligent track of my reciepts for NOTHING! I have lots and lots of beautiful yarn for show and tell soon! Actually considered buying an extra suitcase to pack it all to bring home. Thank heavens that Lent is over and I can cast on again. . .(okay so I cheated and cast on before Easter, but now I can do it without guilt!)

Our guild meeting this month should be extra fun. . .we have a guest speaker coming to discuss fiber with us. Ann, from The Knitting Room in Birmingham, will join us to help us understand how fiber is created, how it is best used and to generally raise our knitting IQ. She's also bringing a donation of a fabulous raffle prize and will be providing us with a special shopping day just for guild members. She owns a beautiful shop with gorgeous sample garments, if you haven't been there, you'll want to put a trip there on your calendar!

Gifted (located in Beaumont) has a special event they wanted to let us know about. . .this is from Suzi. . .sounds like fun! anyone in?

Want to let you know that Ann Hood, the author of The Knitting Circle, is going to be here to sign books and speak.The event will be held in the South Tower Concourse on Friday, April 20th, from 11:30 to 1:00 p.m.
If you want more info about her, let me know and I'll send the article that was written for the Free Press.
The book is wonderful.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Tanya,
Glad you had a happy shopping trip. I will come to the guild meeting and join and bring 2 tickets to raffle off for the Nightnotes concert on Friday the 20th. We are having knitting again and I hope some of the guild members would like to come...see ya, sally

Popular posts from this blog

We've Moved!

Our new location for guild meetings is Central Oaks Community Church in Royal Oak. Our blog is moving too! This site will remain as an archive of past events. For current information and happenings with the guild, visit our new Facebook Community Page :  BSKG Meetings & Events . See you there! Our other Facebook presence, the Group :  Black Sheep Knitting Guild , is still there for all members to post and share about knitting.

March Guild Meeting with Melynda Bernardi

Our guest speaker,  Melynda Bernardi of French Press  Knits, was wonderful! She shared about her background as a knitter, how the name French Press Knits was chosen,  how she started by selling felted slippers and progressed in to writing patterns. Her work is beautiful and she brought several samples to share. Melynda graciously offered a discount on her online patterns for the month of March for our guild members!

BSKG 1st Guest Post

Posted by Kim Whelan  "copyright Geneve Hoffman Photography" I have this friend; maybe you have one like her? She’s the kind of friend that has all these crazy, great ideas, and somehow, before you know it, you’re smack dab in the middle of something! This friend is the reason that I found myself starting a knitting guild (BSKG) with her a few years ago and found myself president of said guild a few years later. She is also the reason that I started designing patterns. I was just drifting along, calmly knitting away when she said “write a pattern, challenge yourself” That is how I came to write my very first pattern “Etta” which appeared in Lace One Skein Wonders . Now writing a pattern didn’t come easy, there were many mistakes along the way, but I stuck with it and finally I had a pattern I was proud to publish on Ravelry. After that first pattern I wrote a few more that I was lucky enough to have printed in some local publications. But that friend of mine,